Monday, January 24, 2011

Train?

I love the simplicity of running. I have never been one to believe in elaborate training plans. In my opinion if you want to better your performance, grab a PR, or start running - Just run more! That's the nice thing about running is there's not some mystery or science behind it. All you need to do is run! I have seen so many crazy running styles, runners will pass me and I can't comprehend how they do it with legs flailing all over. But they do... It's not form as much as just doing it.
I guess Runners World gives me guidance at times. I definitely get motivation from hearing about other runners and watching other runners. I bet there are a lot of great programs.... but so many people think they need to leap through all these hoops to be able to run. I think more people should sign up for a 5k, then run it, or walk it. Set a small goal, then another, and after each race set another goal for yourself. Never going without goals has helped me tremendously.

The greatest thing I have learned about training is listening to your body. Take off your watch and your ideals about how fast you should run a route/race. Listen to what your body is saying - then adjust your pace accordingly. Although making time goals helps me stay motivated, and know how I am excelling. In last years Fargo it was my most fulfilling race because I was completely in tune with my body. I would draft runners that kept me at a comfortable pace, even when I really wanted to pass I wouldn't. Then when I felt the pace was slacking I would go around, if the pace picked up too much I would let them go. That kind of racing kept me way more confident on race day. I was trying to stick with a pace that someone else dictates, but what my body wanted.

Keep it simple as a beginner runner! Ignoring complexities is what has helped me really love running, NOW it's not a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment